[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Sunshine" & "Smacka Rooney"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 3 01:13:48 PST 2005

Dear Craig,
I can't resist a 'challenge'.
Regarding the composer of "Sunshine".
If it isn't the 1928 Irving Berlin tune recorded by (among others) Milt Shaw
and His Detroiters (5 March 1928) and Keith Nichols Cotton Club Orch (Stomp
Off CD1234) there are two other possibilities.
The Joe Venuti & Eddie Lang composition recorded on 24 Jan 1927, and
currently available on CD.
Or the song composed and recorded by Banjo Ikey Robinson and His Windy City
Five on 2  July 1935. (Lyrics include "every little sunbeam added to the
sunshine makes it just a little bit more".)
I would need to hear the Ernie Carson version to verify this.
Unfortunately, in a quick search, I can't find your source record, "Every
Man A King", in my files. Details please. Perhaps someone could send me an
MP3 of Ernie's version.
Bob Barnard's "Smacka Rooney" was mentioned on the DJML recently by Phil
Crumley (Natural Gas Jazz Band). They recorded it.
A lead sheet should not be too hard to come by closer to home. If not, I can
probably track it down for you here in Oz.
Kind regards,
Bill.