[Dixielandjazz] Can you listen to music and chew gum at the same time?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Feb 2 09:57:48 PST 2005

Listmates Gunter, Kashkishian, et al.--

Thanks for this interesting strand. I listen mainly to jazz and
classical music of all eras plus some world music and very old popular
stuff. It usually makes me want to stop all else and listen. As for
other music, I usually want to turn it off because it's boring, tepid,
or not to my taste. True confession--there is some classical music that
I can either listen to intently, or just enjoy during dinner or as
background music because I find it unimpinging--most of Mozart, early
baroque like Corelli and Aliboni.

Interesting that around the late 70s, sophisticated restaurants (and
now coffee shops like Starbuck's) started playing modern jazz as
background music. I often want to stop and listen, but the din of the
crowd and a glass of wine make the flow of background jazz lines
compatible and even pleasant. I suspect there's a reason for this,
namely the fact that jazz and conversation are both spontaneous forms
of improvisation, and we're hard-wired to sense this. Or maybe it's
just the wine.

Charlie Suhor