[Dixielandjazz] Music in the Schools - GET PRO ACTIVE

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 2 06:19:56 PST 2005

THIS FROM MIKE VAX & THE STAN KENTON CHAT LIST. Something we should all be
aware of regarding jazz music In schools. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

GET INVOLVED. The stupidity of School Boards, and School Administrators is
growing all over the USA. They are ruining the primary and secondary
educational system, and not only for music. GET INVOLVED.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

We have had a real scare in my wife Peggy's school district.  The school
board in its infinite stupidity had decided to cut not only 4th and 5th
grade music, but all the A-period classes. A-period is when 5 high school
and 3 middle school jazz bands have always met.

These cuts along with Libraries, upper level foreign languages (which are
required to get into the University of California system), drama, and other
arts related classes would have almost certainly meant the end to some of
the most important classes that students take to round out their lives.

Well, tonight I joined over 2000 students, parents, teachers and community
leaders who flooded a school board meeting. Students performed, teachers
performed and speeches were made. It took four hours of the school board's
"precious time."  I was happy and honored to be one of the speakers.

To make a long story short, The A period for jazz bands in high schools was
put back into the curriculum, thank goodness. The A period for middle school
jazz bands hasn't been voted on yet and the cutting of 4th and 5th grade
music was pushed back to "give it some more thought."  I think those jerks
on the school board, along with the jerks in the administration who have
created this mess with mismanagement of funds for the past three years, got
an earful tonight about the fact that if they want to keep their jobs, music
had better stay.

It is amazing just how lopsided this school district is!  The teachers who
are the life blood and the direct connection to the students haven't gotten
even a cost of living raise for the past three years, but the administration
has gotten raises every year. They have also remodeled and refurbished the
top administrator's offices over the past years.  The superintendent not
only makes a ridiculous salary, but has a huge expense account and a car
paid for by the district. I could go on and on, but I wanted to at least
give you some preliminary good news for the on going fight in my wife's

Mike Vax