[Dixielandjazz] Janis Joplin and Bessie Smith

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Tue Dec 20 09:28:40 PST 2005

   One story that I have always cherished hearing about Janis Joplin was
her devotion to Bessie Smith her idol. About two months before her
death, Janis bought a headstone for Bessie Smith. I have always thought
that was was a very kind act of devotion to Bessie on Janis' part. The
sad thing about it was that Bessie Smith was a bit of a bigot. She
didn't like whites or even light skinned blacks. Who knows, maybe that
would have changed Bessie.

Mike