[Dixielandjazz] Janis Joplin Sings Whinin Boy & 2:19 Blues

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Mon Dec 19 21:33:34 PST 2005

I brought out my copy of CD: CCK32168 Janis Joplin's Greatest Hits
546853T Columbia. The 2nd tune on this CD is Summertime recorded with
Big Brother and the Holding Co the same group that she was with for
Piece of My Heart, which was a giant hit for her. Sorry, the liner notes
do not give a recording date.

It has been interesting for me that, firstly she recorded this tune and
that it should then find it's way on to her greatest hit's CD. This is a
very edgy version of the song, in fact if it was any edgier she would be
screeching. :) She sings with a lot of power and her voice is
overflowing with soul/emotion. Summertime has always been a classic for
me and her performance fits right along side the many other versions I
have of this fine song.

Len Nielsen