[Dixielandjazz] Janis Joplin / The Blues / Dick Oxtot / Barbara Dane

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 19 14:45:47 PST 2005

Like Picasso, Janis Joplin had a "Blues" period. Check out the below web
site for lyrics to the Blues she sang. Also, scroll down to the bottom
portion of the site to see lyrics to the blues that a whole bunch of great
Blues Singers used. Click on the singer. If you love blues, see this site:

http://www.harptab.com/lyrics/a37.shtml

Also check out the below "unofficial" BLUES CD. Note especially the choice
of tunes and on CD # 2, song #7. Yessir, Janis Joplin was an OKOM blues
singer early in her career, and as Bob Ringwald said, a good one. I
heard/saw her in Oakland and San Francisco CA, with Oxtot, during the mid
sixties when I lived there.

BLOW ALL MY BLUES AWAY, VOL. 1/2  (Not sure what label)
CD 1
(John Riley's home, Austin, Texas 1962) 1. What good can drinkin' do,
(Threadgill's Bar, Austin, Texas 1962) 2. CC riders, 3. San Francisco bay
blues, 4. Winning boy blues, 5. Careless love, 6. I'll drown in my onw
tears, (San Jose Coffeshop, with Jorma Kaukonen & Steve Mann, november 1962)
7. Honky tonk angel, 8. Empty pillow on my bed, (Grant Ave., Coffehouse,
late 1962 or early 1963) 9. Gospel ship, 10. Stealin', 11. Leaving this
morning, 12. Daddy, daddy, daddy, 13. Careless love, 14. Bourgeois blues,
15. Black mountain blues, 16. Trouble in mind, 17. What good can drinking
do, 18. Silver threads and golden needles, 19. Mississippi river, 20.
Stealin', 21. No reason for livin', 22. I'll drown in my own tears, 23.
Daddy, dady, daddy, 24. Careless love, 25. San Francisco bay blues, 26.
Winning boy blues, 27. CC rider, 28. Leaving this mornin'

CD 2
(San Jose 25 june 1964, Jorma's Mother's House, with Jorma Kaukonen &
Margaretta Kaukonen) 1. Typewriter talk, 2. Trouble in mind, 3. Kansas city
blues, 4. Hesitation blues, 5. Nobody knows you when you're down and out, 6.
Daddy, daddy, daddy, 7. Long back train blues, (San Francisco 1965, with
Dick Oxtot Jazz Band) 8. Black mountain blues, 9. Walk right in, 10. River
Jordan, 11. Mary Jane, (Studio sessions 1967-68) 12. Call on me, 13. Bye,
bye baby, 14. It's a deal, 15. Easy once you know how, 16. Roadblock, 17.
Flower in the sun, 18. Misery'n, 19. Catch me daddy, 20. Farewell song, 21.
Summertime

Also, here is a blurb about a Memorial service for Dixk Oxtot. Note the last
line of the write-up.

Dick Oxtot Tribute  Sunday, February 17, 2002
Advance tickets: $15.50  Door opens 7:30 PM Music 8:00 PM
Memorial Concert for a traditional jazz master
Laurie Lewis wrote this about the tribute concert:

"This past December, my former band leader, Dick Oxtot, passed away at the
age of 82. I played in his group, The Golden Age Jazz Band, from the mid
'70's through the '80's, and credit him with really expanding my musical
horizons and exposing me to the glory of playing with great horns. In memory
of him, a group of GAJB regulars are getting together to play a night of
music from that band's vast repertoire of jazz from the 1920's through the
1940's. On the bandstand will be: Barbara Higbie, piano, Bob Mielke and Bill
Bardin, trombones, Ev Farey, trumpet, Bill Napier, clarinet, Tony Marcus,
guitar, myself on string bass (I've been working hard to get back in shape),
and Terry Garthwaite, vocals. There will undoubtedly be a number of special
guest stars, as Dick influenced and included many, many people in/with his
music, among them a young Janis Joplin (not expected to show up)."

And, as Tom Wiggins opined, Barbara Dane should be performing at the Sacto
Jubilee. HOWEVER, I'm not sure her politics mesh with that of the trad jazz
crowd. Besides being a GREAT singer, she was always a social activist and
therefore spurned by many of those on the OKOM scene.

I suspect interested readers could google her name and get more information.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone