[Dixielandjazz] One Never Knows, Do One Dick Oxtot

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Dec 18 13:54:54 PST 2005

Hi Art:

  I was there in the beginning of Janis & Big Brother & The Holding
Company, and booked and promoted shows with them and I never knew Dick
Oxtot as having anything to do with her, and I too considered Dick &
his Boys as Old foggies too in those days just like WE are today. :))
He may well have performed on a show or event that she was also booked
on, or may have even booked her to play as an opening act or
intermission act for his show. It was also not uncommon for the early
rockers to contact ANYBODY in the phone book to try and book gigs. In
those days many band leaders like Dick Oxtot and Sal Carson, Walt
Tolleson, Ernie Heckshire, Nick Jordan and others around the Bay Area
would book the rock acts from me for society gigs when the Rich folks
wanted a rock band for their kids birthday party or bar mitzvahs etc,
the money was always great and a lot more than Bill Graham would ever
pay them, so they would take them to pay for their drug and alcohol
habits, and sometimes even their rent for a small apartment so they
could all get out of the Bus and get a shower or bath occasionally. :))
   I remember one such party in Hillsboro, for a sixteen year old's
birthday,  The mother insisted the band stay in the POOL house in
between sets to do their heroin and other drugs, because she did not
want them in the house associating with the real guests.   Whooeee!
the things we had to tolerate for $50,000.00 bookings in those days.
:))

  While Janis became a legend, she was never the girl you would want
your Son to bring home for dinner, especially a holiday dinner with
Gramma and the rest of the family. She hung with mostly disfunctional
hippies and street folks of the 60,s

  Although I worked with many of the early Rockers, I detested most of
them personally as human beings, primarily because I was not into being
drunk or Stoned all the time like they lived, often in filth and
disgusting hovels and apartments that were sometimes not even suitable
for the rats that infested them, not to mention the ones who lived in
the park in hippie busses and tents. It was often a very ugly scenario
trying to do business with these folks who considered the ART of
Getting and Staying HIGH the priority in life, and the higher the
better. Unlike me Bill Graham pandered to them and made a fortune off
of them and their self induced misery in many cases. While when I knew
him Bill was not into drugs personally, but he certainly tolerated any
and all of them in and around his concerts and more than likely had an
arrangement of some sort in the availability of them.

  The entire scene was glistened and beautified for media purposes but
it really was quite ugly behind the scenes and the cameras, and a
backstage pass was more like a trip to the zoo or a circus freak show.

  Unlike Dick Oxtot, I never heard anybody refer to Bill Graham as a
NICE GUY, especially anybody who had to do business with him :)) He was
without a doubt the most RUTHLESS person I ever encountered in the
music industry, he made Donald Trump look like a Sunday School Teacher
by comparison.