[Dixielandjazz] Some very complex lyrics (especially for Klezmer fans)

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Fri Dec 16 18:34:31 PST 2005

Oh, yeah, I used to do this song, but I forgot the words!

Actually, the "song without words" is a well-established feature of
Chassidic Jewish culture. It's said to give the soul a chance to express
itself without the mind getting in the way. Not that Chassidism is at all
mindless; the mind has plenty of other functions in study and practice and
prayer.

Somewhere I read of a trend in early or medieval church music to sing songs
with only vowels and no consonants. I think that was related to an early
style of Gregorian chants. So we're not the only ones to do this.

Then there are my friends who stop me out on the street to warn me that
"melody is from G-d, but rhythm is from the devil". Silly me, I never
figured out how you could have one without the other. Perhaps that's the
reason for my failure as a religious musician, and my erstwhile career in
jazz instead.

Anyway, Dave, thanks for the memory.

Elazar
Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band