[Dixielandjazz] Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like A Musician Scorned

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Dec 15 15:28:23 PST 2005

Musicians are usually hired on a per job basis.  There are Co-op groups and
partnerships that have financial ties to each other which can get very
sticky when the party is over..  Just how do you get rid of a partner or a
Co-op member who has money in the group.  I could see where these things
could end up in court.  I don't see how the standard band leader who hires
musicians as sub contractors on a job to job basis could have a problem with
this unless they bad mouthed the musician or did something else.

There is an individual here that is suing a band.  I think that nothing has
come from it but there is really good reason to let him go.  The band is a
non profit but the player has said that he has lost income (???) and has had
his reputation damaged.  Unfortunately the individual is a lawyer and can
cause the band a lot of problems.  If there is a case filed I among others
will be called to testify of his drunkenness and not showing up to jobs
among other things.  One of the jobs he missed was because a judge threw him
in jail for taking a swing at a bailiff who decked him.  This suit doesn't
have a chance but yet he can file a case if he wants and cause the musicians
to have to hire an attorney thereby costing them big bucks.  He wins no
matter what happens.

I wonder what the whole story is.  Steve left out the part about why he was
fired if that makes any difference.

So far as litigation being pointless, it sounds to me like there were big
bucks involved and that is very much to the point for someone.

It's unlikely that anyone will ever hire that string player again.  A
perfect case of Gigacide.
Larry
St. Louis