[Dixielandjazz] Re: Louis Armstrong All Stars Chicago concert date?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 14 15:16:16 PST 2005

Dear Brian,
I am not quite sure what you are getting at with your comment regarding the
Columbia Legacy 2CD set of the Louis Armstrong All Stars "The
Great Chicago Concert":  "The recording date on the liner is claimed as June
1st 1956 with a personal including Ed Hall, Trummy, Kyle, Dale Jones on
bass, Barrett and Velma. That seems at odds with the date of May 17th 1947
given for the famous Town Hall concert with Jack Teagarden and the beginning
of what became the first All Stars."
Am I somehow misreading your question?
That Sony 2CD set (which includes several previously unissued items) has
been around since 1997 and I've had for, at least, 5 years.
Nothing to do with the 17 May 1947 New York Town Hall Concert, that inspired
the concept of the Louis All Stars which first played at Billy Berg's club
in August 1947. Joe Glasser, who was initially against Louis playing the May
Town Hall Concert (organised by Ernie Anderson as a one-off event)
eventually came around to the All Stars idea.
Kind regards,
Bill.