[Dixielandjazz] Deck the Halls With Boston Charlie

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Sun Dec 11 13:03:02 PST 2005

Dave Richoux wrote:

> I have played in many "massed tuba choirs" -
> mostly in San Jose, CA -  a special show
> arranged by Tony Clements, not the "Tuba
> ChristmasR" that happens in many cities.
> Tony has arranged medleys that mix secular
> "winter songs" with carols and it is quite
> interesting.

For those not familiar with the "Christmas TubaFestR," Tony's arrangements
differ from the TubaChristmas books in several ways.  Most notably, Tony has
written parts for Alto Tubas (better known as Eb Alto Horns in the US and Eb
Tenor Horns in the UK).  Some pieces also have an obbligato part for soprano
tuba or "fluba," which is a flugelhorn that's been re-built so that the bell
points upward.

> I think there are a few others on this list
> who have done this - been on hiatus for a
> few years because we could not find a place
> big enough for 200 tubas, but it should
> return in 2006.

Dave, when are we going to get together and work out some Ophicleide stuff
for 2006?

Jim O'Briant
Tuba, Ophicleide and Serpent
Gilroy, CA