[Dixielandjazz] Vinyl to CD machine URL.

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Sat Dec 10 13:10:13 PST 2005

In a message dated 12/10/05 3:06:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

http://www.gizmodo.com./gadgets/home-entertainment/gift-usb-turntable-more-vin
yl-to-cd-goodness-141195.php

The shortcoming with this particular turntable is that it does not work
directly with 78 rpms.  A good concept, but lacking that feature for some  users..
 I would also be interested to know what kind of cartridge it  includes.  One
would prefer a dynamic pickup rather than a crystal  pickup.  The ION ITTUSB
turntable includes Audacity software for Mac/PC for  recording as well as a
trial of Bias Soundsoap 2 for cleaning and restoring  vinyl.

More on it from this website:
_http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2524_ (http://www.biosmagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=2524)

Generally, when I convert 78s I use the turntable at 45 rpm, but that
requires a sound program such as Cool Edit or Audition (the latest version now  that
Syntrillium sold out to Adobe).  With that one can sample the sound at
25,442 Hz and then change the playback to 44100 Hz and that corrects for the
speed.  The advantage of recording at 45 rpm is that the physical buffeting  of the
tonearm is lessed at the slower speed and if there is a good cartridge on
it, the frequency response will be as good as the original 78s were.  i  don't
know if the Audacity software has that ability.

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers JB
"we  ain't just whistling dixie!"