[Dixielandjazz] Brian Setzer and Trad jazz

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Fri Dec 9 07:26:47 PST 2005

Tim, I'm glad you mentioned this CD. I'm a BSO fan--love that combination
of big band and rockabilly guitar. I just got around to hearing the first
Christmas CD-- my grocery store played "Boogie woogie Santa Claus" several
times; I didn't recognize the tune, but the style was unmistakable; I
recalled getting the CD, went home and listened.

BSO used to have brass only, but that Christmas album has a sax section. Of
course, I like "Boogie woogie Santa Claus's" rock'n'roll saxes, but the
band and charts are delightful--basically traditional style, no cutesie
diddly-doos. And Setzer has a good voice. A current TV commercial uses
"Baby it's cold outside", and I think it's Setzer and (Ann Margaret? One of
those gals, anyway)

Now off to get the new one, and his album "Vavoom"...

--Sheik