[Dixielandjazz] Rap and other forms

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 7 15:39:59 PST 2005

I got a kick out of Dave Richoux's post regarding new music categories:
"Throat-core, NoN-music, Sludge-rock,  No-wave, Shoe-gazing."  A few
Christmases ago, my son (now 26) wanted a CD by the band KMFDM (the name is
an acronym for "No Mercy for the Masses" in German, I'm told, though I have
my doubts).  So I went to one of Denver's best independent record stores,
Twist and Shout (which has an excellent jazz selection in addition to
everything else) and was surprised at how many kinds of music I had never
heard of.  I found KMFDM in a bin marked "Industrial Music."  "Industrial
Music?"  That sounds like it might be soundtrack music for a documentary on
American manufacturing or something, but no -- it's essentially
steroid-enhanced heavy metal music for disaffected would-be intellectuals.
KMFDM is very effective at creating their original aesthetic statement, but
I can't say I like their music.  Of course, the last "rock" record I bought
was "Sailing Shoes," by a band called Little Feat, and that was about 1973.

If I remember right, according to an audio documentary I heard a number of
years ago, rap music got its start in Jamaica (mon), where amateur DJs would
walk around with boom boxes and microphones, shouting rhymes over recordings
to call attention to themselves.  There must have been some money in it for
them -- maybe they were like barkers enticing people into bars or something.

I'm told that the biggest thing in pop music right now is called
"reggaeton," which combines elements of reggae, rap and salsa with even more
highly vulgar and misogynist lyrics.  Kids eat that stuff right up.  Here's
a couple of websites:

http://www.musicofpuertorico.com/en/genre_reggaeton.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggaeton

I don't know, but it seems unlikely that the audience for reggaeton could
also be moved by what the DJML calls OKOM.  Check out the photos of some of
the reggaeton fans, and you might want to ask "what's the world coming to."
People asked that about ragtime, jazz, swing, bebop, r&b, rock, soul, and
just about everything else to the left of Sousa or Welk, of course, but this
stuff is a quantum leap farther out.

Ed Danielson