[Dixielandjazz] Re: Acetates

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 6 20:28:20 PST 2005

> but was the acetate medium used as a substitute for wax? Ie, was an acetate
matrix used for mastering?<

Dear Anton,
It is my understanding that, in the early 1940s, Bill Miller's (Australian)
Ampersand label used acetate master matrixes in conjunction with a low cost
mother, but were only good for a run of about 100 78s.
Sometimes a mint 78 pressing was used as a master in this limited edition
process.
'Acetates' (aluminium, glass and sometimes cardboard base discs coated with
cellulose nitrate lacquer) were invented by Englishman Cecil Watts in 1934
and used almost predominantly in radio studios and later for 'home
recording'. Originally with 78rpm disc grooving at 33 1/3rpm. They were
later veru popular and used the finer grooved LP system.
Acetates could be replayed immediately, unlike wax masters which required
special processing.
Australian CD producer Bill Armstrong Jazz+ Jazz and The Bill Armstrong
Collection) knows about these things.
I'll see if I can get him to provide some written-down details.
Regards,
Bill.