[Dixielandjazz] Stolen tunes

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat Dec 3 12:31:26 PST 2005

He didn't steal it.  He transformed it.

8-)

Ron L

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com] On Behalf Of Barrie Walter
Marshall
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 7:02 AM
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Stolen tunes

There has been a recent thread about Kid Thomas stealing a tune and turning
it into Algiers Strut (thanks Mr Thomas).

W C Handy stole tunes as I am sure Ory did, but he mainly used traditional
stuff, if they had not done this they would have been lost in the mists of
time, I was just wondering if it would be interesting to compile a list of
stolen or re-used tunes or tunes put into another tune....has anybody got
any?
In folk music the oral tradition was and still is strong people using and
adapting tunes and words the classic being Bob Dylan who did it a lot.

I will start with a basic one

O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree)   Maryland