[Dixielandjazz] Stolen tunes

Barrie Walter Marshall walter.marshall at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 04:01:42 PST 2005

There has been a recent thread about Kid Thomas stealing a tune and turning it into Algiers Strut (thanks Mr Thomas).

W C Handy stole tunes as I am sure Ory did, but he mainly used traditional stuff, if they had not done this they would have been lost in the mists of time, I was just wondering if it would be interesting to compile a list of stolen or re-used tunes or tunes put into another tune....has anybody got any?
In folk music the oral tradition was and still is strong people using and adapting tunes and words the classic being Bob Dylan who did it a lot.

I will start with a basic one

O Tannenbaum (O Christmas Tree)   Maryland