[Dixielandjazz] Cheap Bookers

larrys.bands at charter.net larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Dec 2 11:45:57 PST 2005

Steve: This tactic works with guys that want to build up their resume and with young musicians.  I listen to the bands on Jay Leno and IMO they are uniformly terrible.  I have thought that surely they, the bands, must be paying to get on his show.  Some have told me that they are paid but if so I bet it's a pittance.

Hope springs eternal except in us that have been around for awhile and see that there are those who use that for their own ends.  All of us, I am sure, have heard some variation of this poor us story at some time or another.  Unfortunately it works and if they call 10 bands, one will bite at the bait.

My wife's brother was about 16 or 17 and was in a basement rock band.  The local Catholic church put on a Battle of the Bands.  The entry fee was $50.  They got four entries each would play for an hour and then the kids would vote on the best one to win a prize (guess what the prize was ---- $200) As I predicted they didn't win but the church charged $5 a head to a packed room with four free bands.  But as I said young people can be taken advantage of and even churches have no morality about using musicians shamelessly.
Larry Walton
St. Louis