[Dixielandjazz] Twinkle twinkle little star

Marcel Joly marcel.joly at telenet.be
Tue Aug 30 10:42:45 PDT 2005

In Holland this old French song became "Kortjakje", a chilren song.It is
still popular today. In Belgium, when I was a kid, it became a children
song, partly in Flemish, partly in French, about a little dog that was
lost "Hebde nie gezien, n'avez vous pas vu"

The interesting thing is that it arrived in New Orleans too. Kid Ory
recorded it as "Creole Bobo" and sang it in Creole French. The melody is
slightly different, but it obviously came from the same source. It's
fascinating how some songs really travel all over the world!

There are other examples. One I recently discovered was on a Frankie
Laine record. It was sung in duet with Doris Day and the title was
"Sugarbush", clearly the same as the South African song "Suikerbossie".
The amazing thing was that as an intermezzo between choruses of
"Sugarbush" a song appeared that exists as a folk-song in my country
called "We gaan nog niet naar huis" (We are not going home yet). It's a
small world!