[Dixielandjazz] Los Lobos/Vinyl recordings

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Wed Aug 31 12:39:54 PDT 2005

Hi Bob & All:

He is absolutely correct, and Dick Broadie and I were involved in the
Direct to Disc recording scene back in the 1970s.

I worked with a strong group of audio engineers with an audiophile
record label that also recorded some of the very first digital
recordings.  we told the industry then that Direct to disc and analog
tape recordings transfered to vinyl was warmer and had better sound
quality, and proved it to them, by recording exactly the same sessions
with Direct to Disc cutting systems, Analog tape versions, and digital
versions.

All digital systems have distortion in the high end that is readily
audible, especially if you A/B the recording playbacks.

The production limitations on Direct to disc however spurred the Major
Greedy record labels into going ahead with the digital systems because
of the unlimited capacity for duplication at a purported cheaper price.
   We also proved that to be an untruth, and we were selling vinyl
recordings of ultimate quality for $16.95 + tax as fast as we could
manufacture them, while they were hawking recordings on recycled pizza
cartons to the masses for $7.95.

We used the finest quality virgin vinyl in the world, and our cost
factor was only about $.50 more per disc than what they were paying for
their recycled thin vinyl coated pizza cartons.  :))   We also found
many excellent recordings on vinyl from RCA circa 1950s that were
excellent quality, I still have some of them.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins