[Dixielandjazz] N.O

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Aug 30 17:35:56 PDT 2005

Here is a late report:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/30/national/
a153814D19.DTL

(08-30) 16:43 PDT New Orleans (AP) --

Rescuers along the hurricane-ravaged Gulf Coast pushed aside the dead
to reach the living Tuesday in a race against time and rising waters,
while New Orleans sank deeper into crisis and Louisiana's governor
ordered storm refugees out of this drowning city.

Two levees broke and sent water coursing into the streets of the Big
Easy a full day after New Orleans appeared to have escaped widespread
destruction from Hurricane Katrina. An estimated 80 percent of the
below-sea-level city was under water, up to 20 feet deep in places,
with miles and miles of homes swamped.

"The situation is untenable," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said. "It's just
heartbreaking."

more
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/08/30/national/
a153814D19.DTL