[Dixielandjazz] Re: Louis Armstrong and more

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Sat Aug 27 21:06:15 PDT 2005

Drummer Barrett Deems referred to Armstrong as Pops and told me it was
because Armstrong was like a father to him. He worshipped the man and said  playing
in his band was the highlight of his career.

And another topic entirely:  we finally posted a new poll on the  Mississippi
Rag site, so you are all invited to vote (_www.mississippirag.com_
(http://www.mississippirag.com) , click on  "Online poll"). The last poll (which went on
forever because I had  little time to update it) was on bassists. Milton
Hinton won by a wide margin,  with Pops Foster second. And, speaking of
bassists... I was sad to  hear of Keter Betts' death. With the deaths of Ray Brown and
Arvell Shaw in  recent years, it seems that the great ones of old are pretty
much gone. It does  seem, however, that there are quite a few excellent younger
bassists active  on the festival and club circuits.

Leslie Johnson
_editor at mississippirag.com_ (mailto:editor at mississippirag.com)   OR
_lesliemrag at aol.com_ (mailto:lesliemrag at aol.com)