[Dixielandjazz] Re: More information about my wonderful cheap soprano

Larry Walton Entertainment larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Aug 27 16:07:16 PDT 2005

Musical instruments are almost impossible to wear out with normal
maintenance.  You are more likely to out grow the horn than you are to wear
it out.  Keep everything clean, oiled and greased and It should last a very
long time.  You won't lose any money on  that horn.

I am still playing the Buescher Alto my dad bought me in 7th grade and my
tenor is a Half  Nude Conn 10M from the 40's.  I also have a Buescher silver
tenor made in 1923 that has a low range to kill for.  These horns play as
well as the day they were made.

By the way a good pro horn really doesn't lose it's value.  If you buy a pro
horn and take care of it you will be able to sell it in 30 years for more
than you paid for it.  I bought a Yamaha Custom Bari sax about 10 years ago
for $4000 even.  Right now the Student model is over $5000 and the custom is
a lot more than that so I won't have any trouble selling it in a couple of
years for more than I paid for it.  Student horns do lose value rapidly and
that's because there are so many for sale.

Larry Walton
St. Louis