[Dixielandjazz] Kids & Dixieland

iVOR jONES BANJONES at SAPO.PT
Fri Aug 26 00:06:26 PDT 2005

I'm with Jim on this.

I live in a different part of Iberia.

Last night we played at the Sheraton Hotel, good audience, 2/300, all
nationalities, they come for the food, they get us as well. It's a weekly
'New Orleans'
dinner night. We have a residency for the summer, or as long as summer
lasts.We play in the open air. Loads of kids of all ages and they cluster
around the bandstand, and come and ask us for autographs and those of us in
the band that can write sign their name. In a few hours time we all meet and
get a mini coach three hours up the road to Lisbon, a Cãmara (Municipal
Council) gig. Sound check at 7, if the crew is ready, a great meal with some
first class local wine, and get to see another historic and interesting
town. (Twice last year we played in castles) Almost certainly tonight it
will be on a bandstand in the town park. We never know, sometimes we get to
play in a theatre or concert hall, but they are usually winter jobs, if
winter ever comes this year. We start at 10 at night, there will be loads of
people of all ages. We get about 12/15 of these a year, last month we got
four. At one, in a seaside (tourist town ), after we had finished, a group
of about ten guys came up and said they loved the music, HADN'T heard this
kind before, can I advise on what CDs they should buy when they get back to
their Scottish university. Like Kash we don't look for gigs with kids, we do
a lot of public performances and the kids of all ages are there. Nothing
noble about it, it just happens. It will be a special day today, we collect
our new Cds in Lisbon on the way to the gig. Maybe we will sell a couple
tonight, one never knows, does one.