[Dixielandjazz] Jamie Cullum, the OKOM Influence.

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 25 20:57:10 PDT 2005

Dear Len:

I guess it is obvious that we see things differently. Examples below.

> on 8/25/05 2:16 AM, Len Nielsen at lennielsen at telus.net wrote:

> Dear Steve
>
> I'm sitting here shaking my head. Your first 2 paragraphs boggle my
> mind. You are the only one who is concerned about and discusses the
> quality of your music and your line about not caring how OKOM people
> view your music indicates that you did not even comprehend my statement.

First paragraph was a direct response to your "comment".

> In reference to "kids like Cullum" you say "Yet you and others disparage
> them". We were discussing what effect his performance may have on
> Dixieland Jazz not the quality of his performance. Presumably you did
> not comprehend this either or maybe accuracy is not a priority in your
> posts.

You still fail to grasp that Jamie Cullum is presenting "JAZZ". And that
kids who listen to him are becoming "jazz fans". If you cannot draw a
connection to OKOM, I don't know what else to say. Cullum has sold over a
million "jazz" CDs. Somewhere in that group, are some fans who will easily
be converted to OKOM out your way if a band in your area is at all "hip"
about the music.

> In my original post I made it quite clear that I was pleased with many
> things that had to do with OKOM festivals and their music and your reply
> was "Yes, totally agree". It hasn't taken you but a few days to forget
> this statement and go right back to your usual rhetoric on this subject.

Yes, I am also pleased with "many" things about OKOM festivals. By the same
token, I am also displeased with many things about some of them and not
blind to changes that need to be made.

> My personal observation of the festival scene is this. The Sun Valley,
> Idaho festival is thriving, the Seaside, Oregon festival is thriving,
> the Port Angeles Wash. festival attendance figures this year indicate
> that it should be in great shape, the Penticton British Columbia
> festival is growing each year and the people behind the Victoria BC
> festival are working hard to reestablish the festival here, a festival
> that has had 1 bad year in the last 23 years. All these festivals with
> the exception of Port Angeles, which is totally Trad, play a variety of
> OKOM and have done so for many years.

That's fine. Glad to hear it. However the general US/Canadian OKOM Festival
scene is on the decline regarding attendance. That is a well accepted fact
among most of us who are on the OKOM music scene today.

> Unless you submit some meaningful statistics to support your doom and
> gloom preaching I remain unconvinced. In other words, put up or shut up.

I suggest you open your eyes to what the hell is going on instead of keeping
your head buried in the sand and ignoring what is happening all around you
on the Festival scene. The history of Sacramento is but one case in point.
There are many others and the evidence is all around you. As to shutting up,
well I'll just consider the source and ignore that remark.

> These are my last words on the subject.
>
> It has been a slice.
>
> Len Nielsen

I am sure we would enjoy a beer with each other at a F2F somewhere and mean
you no disrespect. Just my opinion and just your opinion. OK that's fine. I
guess we should agree to disagree. No problem.

Cheers,
Steve