[Dixielandjazz] Schools Dumbing Down The Music?

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Wed Aug 24 09:05:26 PDT 2005

I do agree with Barbone, however, that young people love OKOM when it is
delivered to them in a school setting, both elementary and secondary levels.
I've done both and we get rave responses.

They are getting out of class by coming to the auditorium and that puts them in
a good mood.  Consequently they are in a more receptive frame of mind and then,
once the music gets started, they get carried away.  It is important to pick
tunes out of your book that have fast tempos and exciting melody lines. The
tunes that "cook".  No slow blues.

Doesn't hurt to move a little on the stage either. Bop around.  Don't stand
there like statues.

I believe this experience sets the stage for more interest in OKOM as they
become adults.

Russ Guarino
Clarinet Maven & retired teacher