[Dixielandjazz] Learning environment

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Aug 23 14:39:55 PDT 2005

But,  Charlie, why are you surprised at the public's lack of good sense,
good  taste and propriety?  We;ve been dumbed down, that's what!   I'll
avoid making a political statement, but you know damned well what  I'm
thinking.

Regards, Harold Smith

There is nothing political about it, Harold.  Don't start with why  schools
aren't as good as they used to be or anything like that; and how it is  the
fault of the politicians and/or the teachers.  Anything to do with the  arts
being dumbed down comes from record companies, PR firms, radio stations,  concert
presenters...............and parents.
The kids are "dumbed down" way before they ever get into a school  situation.

I still see a few kids in schools who care about "good" music, and the
initial inspiration came from what their PARENTS and GRANDPARENTS got  them to
listen to.  If the listening habits are formed early, it really  helps get young
people thinking about music OTHER than what is shoved down their  throats by
people in control of "The Biz" today.
So - here again - it has to come from the home environment before they ever
get to school. (Same as a desire to actually learn from teachers!)
My two cents as a jazz educator.
Mike Vax