[Dixielandjazz] Bennies & Jazz Music

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 23 08:31:34 PDT 2005

On Monday, August 22, 2005, at 10:01 PM, Steve barbone wrote:

> So if you finished a gig in Philadelphia at 3 AM, and had the next
> one, say
> in St. Louis at 9 PM the same day, you had to stay up and drive
> there within
> that 19 hour window. Six piece band going in two cars, so you
> weren't going
> to get any sleep. Even the College circuit got to be like this.

The Celebration Roadshow, which drove over 900,000 miles in five
years, made lots of these drives.  Like from Islamarada in the
Florida keys to Seattle for the world's fair in '74.  And my own
favorite: play a morning gig at Chadron, Nebraska, State University
in the a.m., get into the car and van and drive to Ithaca, N.Y., set
up and play again before going to bed.  And we did that one with no
bennies at all: the guys on that band were all pot-heads except for
me: I went for the Bushmill's Irish, then to sleep on the seat and
awake "refreshed" to play the gig.  Ah, youth...!

Charlie Hooks