[Dixielandjazz] Symphony, Steve B., and Charlie Hooks

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Mon Aug 22 21:11:25 PDT 2005

Well, I'm about to get into real trouble, but kindly note that I didn't
start this.

Charlie Hooks, that curmudgeonly traditionlist, finds it appalling that
orchestras are resorting to gimmickry in order to spike up attendance at
concerts.
It's not that unusual for organizations to fall into that trap .  Hence,
you have non-jazz groups who put on a show at Fests but play damned
little good, honest, creatve jazz.

I'm a traditionalist, too, and I like my synphony concerts to be
concerts where one can lose one's self in the magnificence of the music.
I'm the same way at Jazz Fests or concerts.  I don't dig all the gltz
and flash at the expense of good music, nor do I dig showmanshp when it
doesn't include good musicianship.  I'm there to be uplifted and to rise
above the mundane, but I won't try to deny others from enjoying the
show.

But, Charlie, why are you surprised at the public's lack of good sense,
good taste and propriety?  We;ve been dumbed down, that's what!  I'll
avoid making a political statement, but you know damned well what I'm
thinking.

Regards, Harold Smith