[Dixielandjazz] Re: "Benny's From Heaven"

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 22 11:18:53 PDT 2005

On Sunday, August 21, 2005, at 10:41 PM, tcashwigg at aol.com wrote:

> Bet Guys like Mike Vax and Steve Barbone saw a few of these little
> white pills get swallowed back in the 60.s Not that any of us ever
> used any of them.

Vax and Barbone are far too young, and maybe you are, too, if you're
confusing white crosses with bennies (benzadrine).  "Bennies"--at
least the Smith, Kline and French variety and I think most others,
too--were triangular with a groove down the middle for breaking into
halves and colored a kind of orange/tan/sand color.  Ring any bells,
folks?  About a penny apiece from your friendly neighborhood
pharmacist.

Charlie

PS.  White crosses, which had two grooves for breaking into fourths,
contained an amphetamine of some sort but were not--at least, not in
Texas in the forties--called "bennies."  They worked, but not as
well.  The orange triangles were normally 10mg, breakable into two 5
mg halves, one of which with a cup of coffee--or, even better, a
Pepsi-Cola--would boost you right up there for the evening.  Some
guys got so used to them that a small handfull became the normal
dose. During WWII pilots were issued a few for use in emergencies.
Musicians discovered we could fly without the airplane.