[Dixielandjazz] Re: "In the Bushes at the Bottom of the Garden"

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Aug 19 17:05:16 PDT 2005

Dear John,
Are you really sure that you want to sing that risqué English music
hall-type song?
Just kidding.
It was indeed recorded by Ray Noble (as The New Mayfair Orchestra) for HMV
on 1 March 1932.
Also by Jack Hylton for Decca on 8 Feb 1932.
It was recorded by music hall comics George Fradley, Norman Long, Leonard
Henry, Leslie Sarony and Randolph Sutton in 1931-32.
Written about 1925 by Clarkson Rose.

"In the Bushes at the Bottom of the Garden."

Father¹s got a garden and taken such a pride
Cutting bushes at the bottom just to hide
Views of ugly houses, chimneys and the such
And now there is a forest and we thank him very much

Cos every night when the moon shines bright
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
Every night it¹s a lovely sight
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
By the light of the moon all the couples all spoon
And they don¹t say beg your pardon
And the old tomcat takes the tabby next door
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden.

Father¹s little bushes are getting quite a name.
People do exaggerate and though it is a game
Getting more historic nearly every hour
People talk about them like the Abbey or the Tower

Washing day is a sight they say
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
Wet or fine they hang the washing line
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
There¹s baby¹s shawls and father¹s smalls
And sister¹s I beg your pardon
There¹s a shirt of brother Tom¹s and a pair of mother¹s gloves
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden.

They say, I believe, that Adam met Eve
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
King Charles, it is said, he went and lost his head
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden.
When Godiva bare, except for the hair
All around her beg you pardon,
Peeping Tom, its true, had a darn good view
>From the bushes at the bottom of the garden.

Years ago, old King Pharaoh
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden
Found his daughter coy with a brand new baby boy
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden.
He said ³this is ruin, what have you been a-doin¹?²
But she said ³I¹ll beg your pardon.
You¹re making a mistake, cos I found it by the lake
In the bushes at the bottom of the garden².

If you can access Real Player (for some odd reason, I can't with my eMac)
you should be able to download the Jack Hylton version at
   http://www.petefaint.co.uk/jackhylton/music.htm
Have fun.
Let me know how you get on.
Kind regards,