[Dixielandjazz] Re: Second Request "Five Pennies" Lyrics/etc.

Charlie Hooks charliehooks2 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 19 13:09:34 PDT 2005

On Thursday, August 18, 2005, at 05:12 PM, Bill Haesler wrote:

> two tunes of the same name, both associated with
> Red Nichols.
> A stompy one from the 20s and a forgettable ballad-like one from the
> 50s.
> Both different.

Bill, I suppose you mean that each is different from the other, but
I'm afraid the one you label "forgettable" is the one audiences
remember: my wife has sung it many times for special occasions--such
as retirement parties for retiring Superintendants--but it also works
wonders with any audience if you give away five pennies, to five
different audience members, one at at time as the song explains them,
and end with the oldest person present or the celebrant at the party
with the lines: "This little penny is the last little penny, and it's
most important of all: For this little penny is to love on, and where
love is, heaven is near; So if you've got five pennies, and they're
these five pennies, You'll be a millionaire!"

Of course, you need me to play piano behind this...unless some real
pianist know the tune.

Charlie Hooks