[Dixielandjazz] Re: Second Request "Five Pennies" Lyrics/etc.

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Aug 18 19:11:22 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Vickye,
>I am surprised that no one has helped out on your request.
>We discussed the "Five Pennies" tune on the DJML in June last year and
>established that there are two tunes of the same name, both associated with
>Red Nichols.
>A stompy one from the 20s and a forgettable ballad-like one from the 50s.
>Both different.
>Which one are you looking for?
>Listmate Craig Johnson was involved last year, but is a busy boy.
>However, he is always helpful.
>How about it Craig?
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

I suspect he refers to the one that Danny Kaye's wife, Sylvia Fine,
wrote for the "biographic" (HA!)picture of Red's life.
This one haas two strains that are sung as counterpoint to each other,
ala the Berlin tune from Call Me Madame.", (You're just n love." --
which starts
"I hear music when there's no one there...") It is an effective tune for
two singers and a band in Trqaverse City, the backroom Gang used to do
it with the guitar/banjo player doing it. Good show number.
Don Ingle