[Dixielandjazz] Clues?

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Fri Aug 19 06:36:17 PDT 2005

The poll doesn't surprise me - the basic preference is for music with a beat
that one can dance and groove to; driving sounds that make your feet and
body want to move.  (One of my tests for a CD at a listening station is
whether it gets my feet moving and body swaying - then, I know it's one that
I want to invest in and listen to again and again.  Likewise at the
Sacramento Jubilee - the bands that get substantial walk-up CD sales are the
ones that get people excited and involved during the set.)  Much of the okom
I've heard in New Orleans is bland, vanilla sound that seems to be aimed at
tourists and their expectations of the "traditional".  It's okay, but not
exciting.  (Which is not intended as a criticism of the bands or the
performers, just an observation.  Maybe that sound is what gets tourists to
donate dollars.)

Tim Eldred
Roseville, CA