[Dixielandjazz] New guy on the block

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 10:33:00 PDT 2005

Kash asked who am Jamie Cullum, what am he?

 Jamie Cullum  was the protegee of Ray Butt, a local (Swindon UK) reedman
and broadcaster who I've worked with a couple of times.  Ray  recommended
Jamie as a "dep" if I ever I was short of a piano player...... but  I never
was!

He was a local musician but somehow our paths never crossed.  One of the
promoters had a bit of a coup when after his sudden catapulting to fame,
Jamie honoured a booking with him. I gather he's a nice young man and a very
good piano player.... the little I've heard of his singing on TV doesn't
appeal one bit, he seems to force his voice in a way that can make it sound
ugly (to me but not to the rest of the world it seems) but people in glass
houses have to be very careful with their stone throwing :-) and maybe I
caught him on a bad night

As for the cockiness, it has been my observation that it's a rare youngster
who can cope with being hyped up without becoming insufferable.  I, on the
other hand,  am of an age where I would handle fame with due modesty and
dignity.

Jude .... (had a really good gig at Brecon, a predominantly modern festival,
last weekend but I'm not going to tell you for fear of being thought a
braggart:-) )

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection
Aston, Oxfordshire