[Dixielandjazz] Re: Lyrics for "Oh Mo'nah"

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Wed Aug 17 21:56:00 PDT 2005

Bill Haesler wrote:

>Dear Hal,
>Regarding: >Does anybody know if Spike Jones played drums in that group [the
>'Other Orchestra], or did he stand out in front?  I'm curious because the
>drumming on that record ["When Yuba Played the Rhumba on the Tuba"] was
>quite good.<
>
>The drummer on the Standard Transcription (29 April 1946) and Victor (6 May
>1946) record dates for this 'other orchestra' tune was Frank Carlson, who
>was with the Spike Jones' band from Feb to May 1946.
>Yes, him! The famous Frank Carlson who made those wonderful sides with Woody
>Herman (1936-1942).
>Kind regards,
>Bill.

The other basnd played at Ciro's and I think Frank was on part of the
stand. Tommy Pederson was on trombone
and did the Flight of the Bumblebee solo on the record they made avout
then.
In Arpil of that year, Dad and I took Frank with us to fish the Sepe
river for trout, and he damn near drowned himself
-- a long story there, printed up inthe Sacramento Jazz Sociatey
newsletter.
And yes, his work with the Early Herman band was wonderful, indeed. He
wne into the studios after that and like many of the fine jazz players
never got to play it much at all after that. Just cashed the checks.
Don