[Dixielandjazz] Lyrics for "Oh Mo'nah"

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Wed Aug 17 13:30:59 PDT 2005

I'm going to try to transcribe this as accurately as I can from the Weems
1941 Decca Recording.  BTW, it can be found (except for the last second or
so) at:  http://www.redhotjazz.com/weems.html .  Just scroll down.

An old colored preacher was settin' on a log, (Oh! Monah)
Had his finger on the trigger and his eye on a hog.  (Oh! Monah)
Well, the gun said "Boo!" and the hog went vip, (Oh! Monah)
And the preacher grabbed him with all his grip.  (Oh! Monah)

CHORUS

Well, my Monah, you shall be free,
Listen here, baby, you know you shall be free,
When the good Lord sets you free.

Only one young man who had the blues.  (Oh! Monah)
Had feet so big that he couldn't get shoes, (Oh! Monah)
And the shoe clerk said come back again, (Oh! Monah)
And we'll fit you with the box that the shoes came in. (Oh! Monah)

CHORUS

Well, I was down behind the henhouse on my knees, (Oh! Monah)
And I thought I heard a chicken sneeze. (Oh! Monah)
Oh, well, he sneezed so hard with a whoopin' cough (Oh! Monah)
That he sneezed his head and his tail right off.  (Oh! Monah)

CHORUS

[Ensemble:]
Oh, I was flyin' down the road,
Tired team and a heavy load.
Cracked my whip and the lead horse sprung, And the hind horse busted the
wagon tongue.

CHORUS

The (Oh! Monah) responses were from the ensemble (I love that euphemism for
band members singing).