[Dixielandjazz] Original Dixieland One Step

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 16 14:41:42 PDT 2005

"Mike C." <mike at michaelcryer.com> wrote:

> A couple friends and I heard some good OKOM at a private party last night.
> Their first set went kinda like this:
>
> 1. At The Jazz band Ball
> 2. Darktown Strutters Ball
> 3. Shine
> 4. Milenburg Joys
> 5. Summertime
> 6. Copenhagen (tune fell apart during the bridge)
> 7. All of me
> 8. I Found A New baby
>
> The band then took a break. I asked the leader if I could make a request
> and he said I could. So I requested 'Original Dixieland One Step' he
> looked at me kinda funny and said "Sir, that is a racist song and we
> wouldn't feel comfortable playing it. You should be ashamed for requesting
> it."
>
> I know nothing about the history of this song. Can anyone please tell me
> what it is about this song that makes it "racist"? I wasn't even aware
> that this song was racist.

Tell that idiot to go pound sand. Maybe he associates it with the ODJB and
Nick LaRocca. (LaRocca could be viewed as racist) ODJB was first to record
it and copyrighted it as an original composition. HOWEVER:

Black bands including Bechet's had no problem playing and recording it.

Most discographers today believe that "Dixieland One Step" is pretty much
based on "That Teasin Rag" written about a decade before ODJB. Indeed, a law
suit was brought against them by the composer of "Teasin Rag".

Etc., etc., etc.

Cheers,
Steve