[Dixielandjazz] banjo, anyone?

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 16:31:40 PDT 2005

OK- This is for the few banjo strummer out there. I know you are  lurking in
the site, I can hear faint twanging noises. The rest of the list,  just delete
this, go on to more entertaining posts such as porta potties, how  many cans
of cold beer will a tuba hold, etc.

Now then.

Years ago I inherited an old Capitol Special. Uncle I never knew played it
for a living in saloons in Pittsburgh, PA. Died at 21, sadly, but not from
banjo  playing. I have in the past learned a dozen chords or so, at one time could
play  the second banjo part to "Bye Bye Blues" with band's regular banjoist.
But I  digress---

I never learned how to use a pick, and that is what I am asking about. Do
banjo picks come in sizes, like 1, 2, 3, and soforth? Or do I just reach into
the old box they hold out for me at the music store while they roll their
eyes- and get pot luck?

Question 2. How much of the pick is exposed below the thumb and forefinger?
I seem to get the pick tangled up in the strings, producing a loud but
unmelodic  sound .

Question 3. Do I use the pick on both the down stroke and up stroke,  or only
on one?

Sure need some help! E-mailed Harper Goff but he didn't answer. No banjo
players or instruction here, except loads of five stringers, most missing teeth-
(they grin a lot)

My dentist always removes a tooth each time I visit him (yes, I brush and
floss) and soon I will look like old Bunk during his last days. Need to prepare
for the inevitable switch from cornet to something else. Fortunately, I
don';t  smile a lot-

Any advice  appreciated.
       tradjazz