[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Booking agents

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 15:53:15 PDT 2005

article on Booking Agents:   in response to a new group wanting to know
how to get one.

Sent: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:40:07 -0700
Subject: Booking agents

      RE:Booking Agents

 Hi Thunderbird AKA MOKA:

  If you want to hire a real Booking Agent, that knows what they are
doing, you need to have a steady track record of good paying gigs and
be able to show that there is a demand for your product ( Music) at a
reasonable amount of income to earn your band what they want to make
and also to support the time and efforts that the booking agent is
going to have to put in to book your band.

  Since most Agents work on commissions you have to be in the position
to earn a substantial amount of money just to pay the booking expenses
and earn reasonable amount of money for the Agent who will be working
about 40 hours a week to get your band on a stage for 4 hours a weekend,

  Since you are booking your own shows now you have a taste of what the
Agent must do, and trust me it in no easier for an Agent to do it that
it is for you.    The agent also has to deal with the issues of your
9-5 DAY gigs which will conflict with many of the booking possibilities
he will find.

  Playing live music does not come easy and it is very difficult to book
a band that works full time jobs other than music.

  There is a lot of fierce competition out there for those gigs and
there will always be other groups working full time who often will have
more experience and expertise that need those jobs more than a group
with full time income from a 9-5 gig.

  Every time a band in your situation gets one of those gigs it takes
away another opportunity for a full time Professional Working Band of
musicians to get a pay day and earn a living as well as their agent
losing out on his commission.

  All bands in this category should think long and hard about this
situation that is rampant in our business.  How would you feel if guys
started coming to your 9-5 gig and possibly undercutting your security
paycheck by offering to work for less money or for free just to get in
the door?

  This situation is not healthy for the live performing business in the
long run, and is the biggest culprit for having the club business in
the mess that it is in today.  Especially in the genre of music that
many Sonicbids bands are in.

  The club owners are no longer very interested in booking any bands
because they think they are really any good or any better than the one
before or after them, it is a numbers game, as I have stated in
alcohol to anybody who comes through the door including the band and
all their friends on the guest list.

  Hellooooooo!    Smart bands eventually learn to use that Guest list
very guardedly and only put people on it that are really important like
reviewer's and business folks who they are trying to establish a
relationship with to further the cause of the band or artists.  Most of
them do not care how good your band is so long as you have bodies in
the place with cash or credit cards to buy alcohol.  Bottom line.

  The clubs will not tell you this because they want you to fill the
club with people and if you or any other group is willing to do that
they will "LET" you play  if you sell tickets or have a draw of folks
who are willing to PAY to see and hear you.

  Now how many folks are willing to pay to come see you do your 9-5
gig?

  What I am attempting to paint a picture of here is that you must think
about your band as a business and treat it like a business and run it
like a business just like your 9-5 operation.

  To do it any other way will not attract a real Booking Agent who
depends upon reliability and availability of his acts to go play where
and when he can get someone to pay for you.

  Contrary to all too often popular belief in our business, The Booking
Agents "DO NOT HAVE ALL THE JOBS"  they have to go find or make them
just like bandleaders do and unless your band is already established as
a financially secure act and has a sustainable level of income to pay
for the promo, leg work and telephone bills and all the other stuff
that you have to do to book a gig, as well as make additional money for
payment of the Agent.  That agent is not going to work for you, and
will probably do no more than what you do now, sit back and wait for
the gigs for you that fall into his lap, and call you only when his
best clients are booked solid and he has that extra gig that fell into
his lap.

 I hope this explains the process a bit.

  I know some very high paid  Lawyers and Doctors who tell everyone they
"Play a Little Music on the Weekends" and they go around playing for
free or close to it just to get off and massage their egos.  They
called me to book  them ONCE,  I informed them that I don't "DO A
LITTLE BRAIN SURGERY Of LEGAL PRACTICE " on my days off and I would
appreciate it if they didn't go hustle my Weekend Gigs for cheap or
free, which is why most of us are now "WEEKEND WARRIORS"

 Cheers,

 Tom Wiggins
 International Booking Agent
 for more years than I care to remember.  :))