[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Forum article 1

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 15:49:57 PDT 2005

Hi DJML friends:

Thought some of you might find use for a few articles I posted to
another multi genre list. with lots of wannabe rockers and rappers and
songwriters trying to find their way in show business, and most of them
are Paying to Play, and often trading non paying gigs with each other.
  Very sad scene for sure, Internationally.

Simply delete if not interested.
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Subject: Forum article 1  Feedback on our music wanted:

      Looking for feedback in all the wrong places

 Hi Folks:

  I have noticed that this forum is by far the most posted to on the
billboard.

  I am going to say a few things that will upset some folks but they are
Reality based and many years in the industry in learning.  I am not
speaking to any one particular artists here folks, just Generically.
If the shoe fits you will know it, and have the option to wear it or
change it. :))

  #1.  If you are asking other artists for feedback you may just be
seeking Mutual Admiration Society Ego strokes.  "This does not mean you
are necessarily a Redneck" as Jeff Foxworthy would say.

  #2.  You are putting your vulnerability on the line by asking other
artist's who can offer mutual admiration or harsh criticism valid or
invalid for various reasons.

  #3.  It is Not ALL ABOUT YOU,  IT IS ABOUT THE AUDIENCE if you have
one or if you are still trying to get one, or if you are trying to keep
one.  ASK THEM,  they really care, and they are the ones paying to come
and hear you and buy your music.

  Without the Audience you are and never will be anything in this
industry.

  I have been asked a few times why I did not post my request for
feedback on this forum.

  Because I know exactly what I am doing, and where and when and how I
will present and perform my music for the audience that will pay to
hear it so I do not really care what my peers think of my music
personally.  They are not hiring me and most of them are not buying my
CDs.  It has been working fine for me for many years and made me a good
living, It ain't broke and no critic is gonna fix it for me. :))
  I am not interested in re-inventing the Wheel, just rolling it around
the world showing it to new audiences all the time. :))

  I have never met an Audience that I did not like, and I can't remember
meeting  one yet, that did not like my music.

  It is much easier to find a new audience that has not heard your
rendition of whatever music you play,. original or cover tunes of other
artists that they have also never heard or seen live, with new style or
arrangements, to keep finding a new original song to grab them.
Remember All songs were once "Originals"  so your original song is not
all that special unless it is accepted by the audience, which as many
of you know can be very slow to happen.  Sometimes when you walk on the
cutting edge you only get CUT.

  While it is always ego flattering to be recognized by peers, it is not
very often going to put any money in your bank account. :))

  Seek out Music Reviewers,  Not Critics,  Critics are generally self
appointed and anointed experts on what they like and dislike and they
believe that their job as a CRITIC is to Criticize everything that
comes in front of them.  They will do their best to cut you to shreds
every time to further boost and stimulate their own egos and cause
controversy in the readership of their publications.  You don't need
them, you need Reviewers who will point out the good things about your
music rather than their pet peeves and dislikes of any specific little
thing that they tend to let overshadow all the 98% of goodness in the
rest of the work.  Do your homework on these folks the same as you
should do on booking a venue, don't play where you don't fit or belong
just because it is a gig, that is what makes for BAD GIGS and
nightmares for you and the venue and the audience. :))

    Make sure  you or your publicist knows the difference and treats
your submissions correctly.  For instance, a nice review in Music Maker
is better than a trash article in the National Enquirer with 5000 times
the circulation.  Now the exception here is if the Enquirer puts you on
the front cover touting that you just played a concert on The Sun for
the Devil in intense heat and you proved to be Hotter than Hell.  :))
P.S. Make sure they spell you name correctly however and tell folks
where to send the money to buy your live from the Sun or Hell  CD.

    Always accent the positive and seek out those who will do the same.
It will help you move forward far faster and simply, as hard as it
seems, ignore the critics if your audience loves what you are doing and
you are happy with what you are doing.

  Remember, every opinion is just that an opinion and it may or may not
be shared by the majority of folks who come into contact with you and
your music.  Embrace those that do and try to be kind to those that do
not to avoid them writing about you at all, which is better than having
them write trash.

  Never be afraid to ask you audience if they are having a good time and
if they like your music,  If they say NO tell them to go Home, turn
over the house and play to the new folks.  :))

  This applies Double to Critics, who generally are frustrated  twits
who were never good enough to make it to a paid to play level and
therefore want to trash all those that do.

  They became Critics so they could get free press passes to all the
concerts to criticize all the acts that made it when they did not.  If
they don't like your music tell them to just get the Hell out because
you hate anal retentive uptight self appointed wrongly opinionated
critics and let em write about that and tell them to make sure they put
your statement in quotes so you get credit for it and not them. :))
 Cheers,

 Tom Wiggins