[Dixielandjazz] Bass Sax - Was C Melody Sax

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 15:02:14 PDT 2005

Lily Korte <tramette89 at sbcglobal.net> wrote (polite snip)

> Now what I  want to know is why the bass sax didn't become more popular (aside
> from the fact that it's expensive and enormous!) VBG :-)

Hi Lily:

I rehearse with an amateur band that uses a bass sax instead of tuba, or
double bass. Great sound plus adds a strong solo voice. I guess the trad
folks prefer tuba and the swingers prefer double bass.

I love bass sax and fondly remember seeing Charlie Ventura in the 1950s,
swing his butt off on Bass Sax that he used on a stand with wheels. Used as
a solo instrument. He had Marty Napoleon on piano, Gene Krupa on Drums and
Ace Tesone (Barbone Street's Bassist) on double bass. Great group, but they
never recorded.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone