[Dixielandjazz] Modern Jazz vs Dixieland/Okom

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 22:19:42 PDT 2005

 Polite snip from Steve Barbone's REPLY TO MIKE

  Let's see, the last time I looked, with the exception perhaps of "My
One &
  Only Love -1953 by Mellin & Wood, the rest are Great American Songbook
Tunes
 or Gospel which surely qualify as OKOM even for the most square of us.

 Saint Gabriel's does three of these tunes that we fondly call OKOM.

 My Funny Valentine - 1937 Rodgers & Hart

  We feature MINOR "FUNKY" aka "FROG" Williams on the vocals and he
delivers an awesome gut wrenching soulful rendition of it that would
make Rogers & Hart twinge but stand and cheer with the rest of the
audience.

 Summertime - 1935 Gershwin & Gershwin
  Our version of this would make the Gershwins turn over in their graves
but heir heirs are loving it because it is a big hit for us and one of
our most requested songs in Europe and they are loving the royalties

 There Will Never Be Another You - 1942 Gordon & Warren

  Now we do draw our lines somewhere folks and Playing the Sheepherder's
Lament is where the line is drawn.
  we do not play "There will Never be another Ewe" because it is just
not Politically correct as far as we are concerned because of it's
sexual under tones.

  Take My Hand Precious Lord - (not sure but circa 1930s) Thomas A.
Dorsey

  This is a standard in our repertoire for both Funerals and concerts
and all Gospel Brunches and shows Riverbank Baptisms, camp meetin's and
wherever else good ole Gospel tunes are in good taste.

We just love playing Feel Good Music.

However we can't seem to get that Boondockers feel on a couple of
tunes, :))

Maybe the four drummers are drowning out the washboard, :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

As live as it gets.