[Dixielandjazz] Re: How does Leon Bismark Beiderbecke grab you?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 13 16:11:42 PDT 2005

Dear Will, Stan and Rae-Ann,
(Others may want to hit the 'delete' key now.)
Regarding: >How does Leon Bismark Beiderbecke grab you?<
It doesn't!
Anton and I have already referred to the information contained in the
excellent Sudhalter/Evans and Evans/Evans Bix books.
Perhaps you are using the DJML 'digest' with its unfortunate 'time-delay'.
Therefore, I repeat the points contained in my last two messages regarding
this thread:

....... the 'Certification of Birth' dated 30th January 1963 from the County
Register; Vital Statistics, State of Iowa (reproduced in the 1974
Sudhalter-Evans book 'Bix. Man & Legend') indicates the name as Leon Bix
Beiderbecke.
This document has also been reproduced in the 1998 book 'Bix. The Leon Bix
Beiderbecke Story' by Philip R and Linda K Evans which also provides a copy
of another 'Certification of Birth' from the Department of Health; Division
of Vital Statistics' dated 5 Feb 1963 showing the name as Leon B
Beiderbecke. It also reveals that although Bix was born on March 10, 1903,
the birth was not filed with the Department of Health until Aug 12, 1904!
Therefore....... the answer is not cut and dried, notwithstanding later
published reminiscences by Bix's relatives [Bix not Bismark].
[Anton's] suggestion that someone re-examine the original 'Certifcation of
Birth' in Book 6, Page 24 in the Iowa Scott County register is a good one.
If it still exists.
But surely, somebody must have done this by now.
   and
Sorry, but no one appears to have seen Bix's original 'birth certificate'.
Only two conflicting 'certifications of birth' dated 1963.
1.  Leo Bix Beiderbecke.
2.  Leon B Beiderbecke.

Maybe Paul Edgerton was on the ball after all when he said:
>After all is said and done -- whatever his legal name -- we know the man as
Bix.  *That's* what is real.<
    and
> A name is only a symbol.<
Kind regards,