[Dixielandjazz] C Melody Sax and the Eb Alto sax

dingle at baldwin-net.com dingle at baldwin-net.com
Sat Aug 13 12:30:15 PDT 2005

Mike C. wrote:

>  Frankie Trumbauer played a C melody saxophone. Why is this horn no
> longer being used and the Eb alto is? What were the major differences
> between these two horns(Other than their key)?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

A tonal difference more than anything.. Tram's playing style influenced
(by his own admission) "The Pres." And others admitted that his smooth
sound and lack of heavy vibrato led to many of the so-called "Cool"
sound style that many alto players used  - an example is to listen to
Brubeck's Take Five and hear what a Tram influenced sound Desmond
acheived. Desmond in an inrerviewe mentioned Tram as an early influence.
My dad started with a C melody, but switched to alto and tenor because
most band charts were written for them.
And finally, the C Melody was championed for years by the late Rosey
McHargue -- just give a listen to his "Blue is the Night" side on his
Stomp Off CD, "Oh, How He Can Sing."
Don Ingle