[Dixielandjazz] Son of Gloomy Sunday

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Sat Aug 13 09:51:13 PDT 2005

I know I'm a little late in this thread, but I've been fighting my
computer again (and it's winning).

Anyhow, a few years back - when 45s were still in vogue - I thought
about recording Gloomy Sunday, and  scrived a
song for the "B" side which would, royalty-wise, ride the GS coattails
if I could stir up enough of the old suicide
controversy to prompt airplay.

I never got around to recording it, but the lyric for the flip side was:

HER TOUCH  © Will Connelly

Her Touch stirred every fiber of my being
Her whisper kindled fires within my soul
I treasured every moment when her presence
sent a glow that lent
The meaning to my life and made it whole

But now she's gone, embraced by gentle angels
Her soft caress denied me ever more
My life's an empty vessel, just a shattered broken mess
I'll never get together as it was before

Throbbing, sighing, pain so intense I'm crying
Sobbing, weeping
No way out now, but endless sleeping

And now the hemlock brings its gift of darkness
The shadows come to drive away the pain
And soon we'll be together in a sweet embrace forever
and we'll never ever be apart,
She'll have my all, my soul my heart
Eternally we'll be as one again.

Cheerfully and kindly,