[Dixielandjazz] OKOM in New York City

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Fri Aug 12 19:59:36 PDT 2005

Joe Hopkins asks:

 >I have a friend who will be in Manhattan next Monday and Tuesday. They
would
> rather hear some good jazz than go to a Broadway show. Can someone tell me
> where they might hear some jazz (OKOM) next week  (Monday or Tuesday
> night)?

Joe,

Tell your friend  to go to the Cajun on Mon or Tue, music starts about 8:00
PM.  You can sit at the bar in the other room & still hear the music.  To
sit in the room where the music is, you have to buy dinner.  Dinners are
good & not at all over priced.

On Tue night, early evening, Birdland, about 48th St. at 8th Ave. 5:30 -
7:30 PM.  There is a good jazz band with Jon-Erik Kellso, Dan Levinson, John
Allred, etc.  Of course, they are often out of town.  When they are, there
are good subs.

Your friend can go to Birdland, leave at 7:30, hop on the subway right there
& in 10 minutes, be at 16th St. & 8th Ave where the Cajun is.

--Bob Ringwald