[Dixielandjazz] Bix's name & pronouncing Louis

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Fri Aug 12 11:24:16 PDT 2005

After quoting Phil's reference to Bix's birth certificate, Fred wrote:

> When I was reading about Bix Beiderbecke recently I noted that he
seems
> to have one or more of these names: Leon, Bismarck, Bismark, and Bix.
> Does anyone know what his "real" name is? Thanks.

Isn't the name on his birth certificate real enough?  Isn't the name
that everybody uses real enough?  How much more real can a name be?

And apropos to the question of pronouncing the name Louis: many people
agree that the name of the city is Saint Loo-is.

And yet... Has anyone heard the famous song sung as "Meet me in Saint
Loo-is, Lewis?"

I never fail to be amused by what one can learn on this list.  Today's
newest topic  is public restroom habits!

-- Paul Edgerton (Don't give your right name; no, no, no.)