[Dixielandjazz] Louis Armstrong pronounced his name "Lewis"

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:49:03 PDT 2005

Hi Steve and Listmates,

Steve correctly straightened me out on the intent of his post regarding the
pronunciation of Armstrong's first name.

I should have picked up on it right away but there are times when I'm really
more dense than usual.

Steve used "Lewis" as a rough phonetic rendition of "Louis" as pronounced by
Armstrong. This is so elementary that I failed to grasp it right off.

My confusion partly stems from the point that "Lewis" can be pronounced
"Louie" for the same reason "Louis" can be pronounced "Louie."

Steve might have indicated "loo' us", as opposed to "loo' ee" which I would
have understood right off.

Computer keyboards are limited in that there is no key or combination of
keys I know of to produce the symbol for the schwa. Any of you computer
literate dudes out there familiar with extended special characters?

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com