[Dixielandjazz] Replace the Drums with a Washboard?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 11 07:53:10 PDT 2005

"iVOR jONES" <BANJONES at SAPO.PT> wrote:

> I'll tell you why, it saves on mikes. In Portugal the sound engineers are
> only used to working with rock bands and we have found that they use about 7
> mikes for the drummer. Which we also find is 7 too many.

Better 7 mikes on the drums than 1 on a washboard. :-) VBG

Seriously, we find the "mike the drums" concept to be prevalent in some
venues Barbone Street plays also. I don't let them do it unless the venue is
huge. And even then, will go out into the audience on the first number to
make sure neither the drums nor the guitar are too loud.

I always tell the sound guys "This is a jazz band. Do not over mike the
guitar or drums".

Back to Washboard. When playing for our young new audience, we find that it
is necessary to have a drummer. A washboard is simply not going to cut it.
Doesn't swing, doesn't "drive" the band. Simple as that.

Nothing against washboards or washboard players. They can be used to great
effect on certain novelty tunes . . . but they are just that, a novelty
instrument.

Kind of like a jug band. Great for a change of pace once every few years,
but IMO, they will never bring the music anywhere.

Hey Bob Romans, how would you like to be replaced by a jug? ;-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

I envy no man because I play jugs.